Friday, March 1, 2013

Grad School vs the Real World

kittenPAUSE

Hello again, been a while.

I've been working on a mountain in SoCal for the past two months, and I have to say, overall it's pretty great. I mean, for one thing I've been doing things I've never done before. Go on a zipline? Check. Climb to the top of a pole and jump off 30 feet from the ground? Check. Become a lifeguard? Done and done.

The people here are amazing, and I'm finding my niche, but as excited and happy as I am to be here, it's already time to start planning my next move. That is, I have to figure out what I'm going to do this summer and next fall.

Notes on applying to grad school:
Do: procrastinate to the last possible minute, give your recommenders absolutely no time to write their letters, don't proofread anything, don't check your internet connection

Don't: plan everything out months ahead of time, give your recommenders a ton of reference material, contact the department ahead of time and the person you are interested in researching with, get everything in at least 2 weeks early

Or was it the other way around? Eh, too late now.

So I applied to three schools and now is the part where I wait with bated breath. Well to be accurate my backup has already accepted me, but I'm still waiting to hear from the other two schools who might be more financially sound decisions.

...yep. My life is full of thrills.

kittenPLAY

No comments:

Post a Comment